Lets start with some Did you know facts about your LUNGs
- The average person breathes in the equivalent of 13 pints of air every minute.
- Children laugh about 300 times a day. Adults laugh about 15 to 100 times a day. Laughter is the best medicine, may have some truth. It helps to boost the immune system.
- The lungs are the only organs in the human body to float on water.
- Breathing has very little to do with oxygen. Air has 21 percent oxygen and the body only needs 5 percent. The rest comes from carbon dioxide.
- Seventy percent of waste is eliminated through your lungs just by breathing.
- Guinness World Records lists that Charles Osborne of Anthon, Iowa as record holder for hiccupping for 68 years!
- The breathing rate is faster in children and women than in men.
- The human sneeze can take place at 10 mph.
- Humans exhale up to 17.5 milliliters of water per hour.
- In human beings, the right lung is larger than the left lung to accommodate the heart.
and now to the more serious stuff:
- Lung cancer is the second most common cancer in both men and women (not including skin cancer).
- Lung cancer accounts for about 14 percent of all new cancers.
Your 1 min LUNG Health check up
1. Do you:
– Have a new, persistent or changed cough? YES/NO
– Cough up mucus, phlegm or blood? YES/NO
– Get breathless more easily than others your age? YES/NO
– Experience chest tightness or wheeze? YES/NO
– Have frequent chest infections? YES/NO
– Experience chest pain, fatigue or sudden weight loss? YES/NO
2. If you answered YES to any of the above questions, your lunch health could be at risk… particularly if you:
– Smoke or ever smoked ? YES/NO
– Word of worked in a job that exposed you to dust, gas or fumes? YES/NO
Video Consult with our Specialists (Pulmonologists) about your symptoms and take this checklist along to your consultation.
Source: Lung Institute, Lung Foundation, Cleveland Clinic