Sitting Is the New Smoking: Ways a Sedentary Lifestyle Is Killing You – A blog says in Huffington post
“Sitting is more dangerous than smoking, kills more people than HIV and is more treacherous than parachuting. We are sitting ourselves to death.” Dr. James Levine, director of the Mayo Clinic-Arizona State University Obesity Solutions Initiative and inventor of the treadmill desk
Let’s do a quick check how your day has been spent?
Does this look like your typical day? Then dear friend, you are in trouble…Read more…
- Sitting continuously for several hours a day puts you at a higher risk for heart disease, high blood pressure , diabetes and weight gain.
- Extra physical activity does not reduce the effects of prolonged sitting! This means that even if you have exercised for 30-60 minutes in the morning & then spend several hours at work sitting continuously,you are still at a high risk for disease!! All that morning exercise did not count! from the book Eat, Move, Sleep by Tom Rath
- A study from Australia showed that among overweight/obese people, interrupting sitting time with short bouts of light or moderate intensity walking can reduce after-meal blood sugar & insulin levels.
- Continuous sitting is related to more coronary artery calcium, which is a marker for heart disease later in life.
- Too much sitting reduces your bone mineral density makes them more prone to fractures.
- Body posture is the devil…stooping shoulders, arms bent, back not straight, fingers folded etc.
It is more serious that you could ever think off…what is the mantra…Nothing but move…its your body and treat it with some respect before it gives up on you…
Here are some excuses or hacks that are commonly used:
- Going to the bathroom
- Getting a drink from the cooler.
- Stretching. It’s a wonderful world outside (i.e. if you have a view), else just move you arms and legs every now and then
- Go to the printer/mailroom
- Getting a coffee/food
- Setting up hourly alarms on your computer
- Sit on an exercise ball. Instead of sitting on a chair you can try sitting on an exercise ball while you are at your table.
- Have walking meeting instead of being confined to four walls (* my favorite)
Don’t stop with these…Create your own….Let’s STOP this sitting epidemic and make a new mantra for a healthier life – SIT LESS, STAND MORE…START NOW.